From Bootsy Collins to James Jamerson, 10 Bassists You Need to Know
We all yell when a NBA player throws down an ill dunk on a breakaway, but what about the player who grabbed the rebound that made that breakaway possible? Stadiums erupt when a wide reciever pulls down a long bomb, but what about the linemen who threw his shoulder into an onrushing linebacker to make the throw possible?
Bassists are often those same unsung heroes in music, providing the essential foundation for some of your favorite music, even if you might often not even know their names. Well, no more! From the Motown era to the new school, from rock to funk, and every genre in between, we're making sure some of the most influential bassists to ever pick up their instruments finally get their just due. After all, some of the best hip-hop songs ever made came from samples of these bassists, shouldn't you know who they are? Check out our ten selections right now....
Written by Nathan S. on 07/29/14
Featured In This Article
You Might Like...
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.