Styles P. Interview
|Next Project:||Time Is Money (In Stores December 19th!)|
|Twitter:||Styles P. on Twitter|
|Website:||Styles P.'s Website|
Finished by the end of 2003, Styles P. was ready to unleash his sophomore solo effort, Time Is Money. Pushed back for numerous reasons, the most prevalent of which includes politics at his label home of Interscope, the album will finally see its release almost three years later.
Known by many as SP The Ghost, this original member of The Lox is known for one thing: lyrical substance. Often heard trading verses with fellow D-Block representa, Jadakiss, SP gained his stature in the rap game by using his Queens-born and Yonkers-raised upbringing to define who he is in the industry.
On Time Is Money, Styles P shows his versatility and transcendence. Written and recorded in majority nearly three years ago, the album’s material offers similar results to that of a 2Pac record released post-mortem; A different time period but as relevant as today. To join him on his newest adventure are the late Gerald Levert, Akon, Jagged Edge, Floetry’s Marsha Ambrosius, Talib Kweli and his fellow Lox group members. Nearly as impressive as his guest list is the star-studded line-up of producers that include solid design from Scott Storch, The Alchemist and Swizz Beats.
Although SP says the title of the album was formed while serving time behind bars, the choice presented an eerie and ironic fate. As A&R’s decided which single would appeal most to radio and promotion heads scrambled to market SP to a larger fan base, time passed without anyone (his label included) making a dime.
In retrospect, does Styles P. wish he had signed an independent deal with Koch Records? When will the public be able to enjoy a new album from The Lox? Will a conscious movement towards golden day hip-hop be reborn with New York-laden released that include Jay-Z, Nas, and himself?
These are all questions that Styles P. answers during his one-on-one interview with DJBooth.net’s, DJ “Z”
Listen to the Styles P. Interview
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.