|Next Project:||Life of A Troubled Child (In Stores 2007!)|
Born and Raised in Miami, Florida, Varick D. Smith always knew music was his thing. At barely the age of ten he started rapping and not too long after began writing while in his teens. A lot happened from his time spent as a youth until now, but in-between the 24-year old met Dr. Dre. Skip ahead some more… and arguably the best producer of all time gave him the name we all know him by, Smitty. It wasn’t easy however, as both his name and chance meeting with the doc took a cross country flight, patience on the set of “The Wash” for over fifteen hours and an incredible knack for determination and persistence.
Since the days of loitering on movie sets, Smitty has put himself in place to become the most successful artist to come from the Miami hip-hop tree of life. His major label deal with the Clive Davis operated J Records has allowed him to ready his debut album, Life of a Troubled Child, for an August 8th release date. In addition to Smitty’s gutter sound and catchy lyrics, production credits include top shelf vets Timbaland, David Banner, Swizz Beatz, Kanye West and Manny Fresh. Not bad for a debut album eh?
During his interview with DJBooth.net’s DJ “Z,” Smitty discusses his collaboration with John Legend on the Kanye-produced “Ghetto” when the now Grammy-award winning singer was just “John,” his ghostwriting duties for rapper turned movie star Will Smith, and why his path to success won’t stop him from staying as humble as can be.
Listen to the Smitty Interview
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.