Breaking Through in 2012
While artists as diverse as Odd Future, Lil B and even Weezy have blended skate fashions with urban sounds and styles, none have captured the punk-pop-hop combo's crossover potential quite like T. Mills, a Long Beach-repping rapper/singer who proudly rocks Vans even when he's getting it in. Released via The DJBooth in July, the Columbia signee's Leaving Home street album was so successful that it was recently repurposed as an EP for retail release. As for 2012? Well, let's just say that the world is T. Mills' halfpipe.
It's really not difficult to break through today's over-saturated hip-hop environment. All you have to do have is a tireless work ethic, breathtaking talent and the courage to make music that doesn't sound quite like anything else out there. Ok, maybe it is difficult, but Nikkiya makes it looks easy. From her work with Yelawolf to her acclaimed SPEAKHER album, the SC native's mash-up of soul, funk, R&B, pop and hip-hop is becoming increasingly impossible to ignore. It's only a matter of time until Nikkiya is a household name, and we're betting that time is 2012.
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.