Best Street Banger of 2013
Your archetypical 2010s street record is all about “more” - more guest rappers, more bass, more grandiose boasts about your bankroll and wardrobe. Pusha T, however, has always been partial to the slow burn. With Numbers on the Boards, the second single off acclaimed debut set My Name Is My Name, the Clipse mainstay creates whip appeal through elegant minimalism rather than high-volume bombast. Kanye West and DJ Don Cannon stitch samples from Jay-Z, Bunny Sigler and Luke Vibert together to form an off-kilter beat whose tense vibe perfectly complements Terrence Thornton's deadpan block talk.
Sometimes, a song's title says it all; for an example, look no further than Banger (MOSHPIT), the acclaimed street single off ScHoolboy Q's 2014-bound Oxymoron LP. The record is, quite simply, a banger, and while we haven't tested it out in a real-life mosh pit scenario, we can confirm that it sounds right at home blasting from a set of high-quality car speakers. This grimy, Renegades-produced joint doesn't just rattle trunks, though; it also provokes thought. In a move reminiscent of Black Hippy colleague K. Dot, the ScHoolboy seeds his aggressive, in-your-face verse with subtle commentary on the reality of gangbanging, setting the stage for his album's in-depth examination of Crip history.
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.