Best Street Banger of 2013
Your archetypical 2010s street record is all about “more” - more guest rappers, more bass, more grandiose boasts about your bankroll and wardrobe. Pusha T, however, has always been partial to the slow burn. With Numbers on the Boards, the second single off acclaimed debut set My Name Is My Name, the Clipse mainstay creates whip appeal through elegant minimalism rather than high-volume bombast. Kanye West and DJ Don Cannon stitch samples from Jay-Z, Bunny Sigler and Luke Vibert together to form an off-kilter beat whose tense vibe perfectly complements Terrence Thornton's deadpan block talk.
Sometimes, a song's title says it all; for an example, look no further than Banger (MOSHPIT), the acclaimed street single off ScHoolboy Q's 2014-bound Oxymoron LP. The record is, quite simply, a banger, and while we haven't tested it out in a real-life mosh pit scenario, we can confirm that it sounds right at home blasting from a set of high-quality car speakers. This grimy, Renegades-produced joint doesn't just rattle trunks, though; it also provokes thought. In a move reminiscent of Black Hippy colleague K. Dot, the ScHoolboy seeds his aggressive, in-your-face verse with subtle commentary on the reality of gangbanging, setting the stage for his album's in-depth examination of Crip history.
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.