Best Street Banger of 2012
Centered around trunk-rattling bass and bombastic delivery rather than lyrics and concepts, the street banger is a subgenre that doesn't typically allow for a whole lot of nuance—unless you're Kendrick Lamar. Depicting a teenage version of the rapper as he spits a self-aggrandizing Backseat Freestyle to impress his homies, the Good Kid, M.A.A.D City standout was simultaneously the whip-ready track the block was craving, a metacommentary on braggadocio-rap tropes and an integral part of the narrative underpinning the album. Did I mention that the beat, a grimy, off-kilter creation by "N**gas in Paris" mastermind Hit-Boy, knocks? Because it f*cking knocks.
A$AP Rocky - Goldie
Big K.R.I.T. can't do anything without soul, so it's only right that while 4EvaNaDay Theme certainly bangs - turn up the volume in your car and watch the trunk rattle - Krizza also manages to infuse his self-produced title track with no shortage of inspiration, hope and, yes, soul. If love from the underground does indeed last forever, it's only because K.R.I.T. keeps feeding the underground bangers like this.
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.