Best Street Banger of 2012
Centered around trunk-rattling bass and bombastic delivery rather than lyrics and concepts, the street banger is a subgenre that doesn't typically allow for a whole lot of nuance—unless you're Kendrick Lamar. Depicting a teenage version of the rapper as he spits a self-aggrandizing Backseat Freestyle to impress his homies, the Good Kid, M.A.A.D City standout was simultaneously the whip-ready track the block was craving, a metacommentary on braggadocio-rap tropes and an integral part of the narrative underpinning the album. Did I mention that the beat, a grimy, off-kilter creation by "N**gas in Paris" mastermind Hit-Boy, knocks? Because it f*cking knocks.
A$AP Rocky - Goldie
Big K.R.I.T. can't do anything without soul, so it's only right that while 4EvaNaDay Theme certainly bangs - turn up the volume in your car and watch the trunk rattle - Krizza also manages to infuse his self-produced title track with no shortage of inspiration, hope and, yes, soul. If love from the underground does indeed last forever, it's only because K.R.I.T. keeps feeding the underground bangers like this.
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.