Best Street Banger of 2012
Centered around trunk-rattling bass and bombastic delivery rather than lyrics and concepts, the street banger is a subgenre that doesn't typically allow for a whole lot of nuance—unless you're Kendrick Lamar. Depicting a teenage version of the rapper as he spits a self-aggrandizing Backseat Freestyle to impress his homies, the Good Kid, M.A.A.D City standout was simultaneously the whip-ready track the block was craving, a metacommentary on braggadocio-rap tropes and an integral part of the narrative underpinning the album. Did I mention that the beat, a grimy, off-kilter creation by "N**gas in Paris" mastermind Hit-Boy, knocks? Because it f*cking knocks.
A$AP Rocky - Goldie
Big K.R.I.T. can't do anything without soul, so it's only right that while 4EvaNaDay Theme certainly bangs - turn up the volume in your car and watch the trunk rattle - Krizza also manages to infuse his self-produced title track with no shortage of inspiration, hope and, yes, soul. If love from the underground does indeed last forever, it's only because K.R.I.T. keeps feeding the underground bangers like this.
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.