Best Street Banger of 2012
Centered around trunk-rattling bass and bombastic delivery rather than lyrics and concepts, the street banger is a subgenre that doesn't typically allow for a whole lot of nuance—unless you're Kendrick Lamar. Depicting a teenage version of the rapper as he spits a self-aggrandizing Backseat Freestyle to impress his homies, the Good Kid, M.A.A.D City standout was simultaneously the whip-ready track the block was craving, a metacommentary on braggadocio-rap tropes and an integral part of the narrative underpinning the album. Did I mention that the beat, a grimy, off-kilter creation by "N**gas in Paris" mastermind Hit-Boy, knocks? Because it f*cking knocks.
A$AP Rocky - Goldie
Big K.R.I.T. can't do anything without soul, so it's only right that while 4EvaNaDay Theme certainly bangs - turn up the volume in your car and watch the trunk rattle - Krizza also manages to infuse his self-produced title track with no shortage of inspiration, hope and, yes, soul. If love from the underground does indeed last forever, it's only because K.R.I.T. keeps feeding the underground bangers like this.
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.