Best Remix Record of 2011
“Dance (A$$),” the rump-shaking third single off Big Sean's Finally Famous, had a lot going for it—an eccentrically dope MC Hammer-sampled beat by Da Internz, a memorable catchphrase (“Wobble-dy wobble-dy...”), and a crowd-pleasing lyrical theme (Big butts; what else?). But something was missing. Enter Nicki Minaj, whose uncharacteristically subdued but still enjoyably schizoid guest verse on the official remix provided just the push this big-booty anthem needed to receive major rotation in clubs (strip and otherwise) from NYC to “Waikiki-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i.”
When Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks, a record that turned a school shooting strangely catchy, became a huge hit artists from coast to coast rushed to put their own spin on it, but none of them did it better than Yonas. Producer Sean Ross rearranges the instrumental, subtly punching it up, while the Bronx emcee enters stage left with uplifting rhymes that touch on his father's death, the motivation to make music and his dedication to persevering against all odds. With a remix like this who needs the original?
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.