Best Remix Record of 2011
“Dance (A$$),” the rump-shaking third single off Big Sean's Finally Famous, had a lot going for it—an eccentrically dope MC Hammer-sampled beat by Da Internz, a memorable catchphrase (“Wobble-dy wobble-dy...”), and a crowd-pleasing lyrical theme (Big butts; what else?). But something was missing. Enter Nicki Minaj, whose uncharacteristically subdued but still enjoyably schizoid guest verse on the official remix provided just the push this big-booty anthem needed to receive major rotation in clubs (strip and otherwise) from NYC to “Waikiki-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i.”
When Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks, a record that turned a school shooting strangely catchy, became a huge hit artists from coast to coast rushed to put their own spin on it, but none of them did it better than Yonas. Producer Sean Ross rearranges the instrumental, subtly punching it up, while the Bronx emcee enters stage left with uplifting rhymes that touch on his father's death, the motivation to make music and his dedication to persevering against all odds. With a remix like this who needs the original?
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.