Best R&B/Pop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2011
Having made a name for himself for himself as the darker, more dangerous protégé of hip-pop heavyweight (and T-Dot neighbor) Drake, it was only a matter of time before Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye enlisted his mentor for a blockbuster collaborative cut. On Thursday EP standout “The Zone,” XO and OVO finally joined forces, and the impact was predictably earth-shaking. What's more, the record was damn good—far from skating by on name appeal, the codeine-soaked, Doc McKinney and Illangelo-produced banger was a fresh, haunting synthesis of the two artists' styles.
The Weekend - Rolling Stone
We didn't just pick Nikkiya to be our Breaking Through in 2012 artist for nothing. The fearlessly creative singer had one hell of an album in SPEAKHER, and the album had one hell of a single in Titanic. Produced by frequent collaborator and label boss SupaHotBeats, who combines buzzing synths and syncopated rhythm section into a simmering concoction, Nikkiya vows that those who stand in her way are as doomed as the passengers aboard that tragic voyage. Frankly, we're inclined to agree.
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.