Best R&B/Pop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2010
When you chance upon a diamond in the rough – aka a Dirty Rose – you'd be crazy not to guard it with your life. Just ask Lupe Fiasco: when the Chi-town heavyweight announced he was cleaning house at 1st and 15th, there was one artist he couldn't bring himself to jettison: Windy City soul songstress Sarah Green. This single, which found the boss spitting alongside his prized artist, left few in doubt as to the wisdom of his decision.
Tayma Loren ft. The-Dream - Tipsy
And it wasn't just DJBooth readers who were enchanted by Sarah and Lupe's ode to the hidden beauty of the outcast. The Chi-town native's striking vocal performance, along with beatsmith Bryce Wilson's left-of-center, rock-infused production and Fiasco's characteristically attention-grabbing opening bars made “Dirty Rose” the most unusual – and, in our opinion, the best – independent R&B record to hit our front page this year.
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.