Best R&B/Pop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2010
When you chance upon a diamond in the rough – aka a Dirty Rose – you'd be crazy not to guard it with your life. Just ask Lupe Fiasco: when the Chi-town heavyweight announced he was cleaning house at 1st and 15th, there was one artist he couldn't bring himself to jettison: Windy City soul songstress Sarah Green. This single, which found the boss spitting alongside his prized artist, left few in doubt as to the wisdom of his decision.
Tayma Loren ft. The-Dream - Tipsy
And it wasn't just DJBooth readers who were enchanted by Sarah and Lupe's ode to the hidden beauty of the outcast. The Chi-town native's striking vocal performance, along with beatsmith Bryce Wilson's left-of-center, rock-infused production and Fiasco's characteristically attention-grabbing opening bars made “Dirty Rose” the most unusual – and, in our opinion, the best – independent R&B record to hit our front page this year.
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)