Best R&B/Pop Record (Mainstream) of 2009
2009 saw R&B hitmaker Trey Songz adopting a new, grown-and-sexier style, and nowhere was his transformation more evident than on “I Need A Girl,” the hit lead single off third studio album Ready. Written by Johnta Austin and produced by “Can't Help But Wait” duo Stargate, the track had a steamy, laid-back vibe that kept listeners coming back for more.
It's easy to look down on an immensely popular record, especially when you hear it 20 times a day on radio, but there was a reason that newcomer Jason Derulo's "Whatcha Say" was such a success - it was simply the catchiest track of the year. We don't care how hard you think you are, when you were alone in the car you were singing along to "Whatcha Say", and that's the type of universal appeal that deserves a Best of the Booth award.
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.