Best R&B/Pop Record (Mainstream) of 2012
Speaking of unconventional choices that paid-off big-time, it's not every day an R&B singer signed to a major label releases a single that's ten minutes long, lacks a prominent hook, and foregoes traditional romantic themes in favor of an allegorical, historical-revisionist examination of black femininity. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's only happened once, ever. When Frank Ocean stepped into the Booth with Pyramids back in June, readers instantly recognized the Channel Orange inclusion as a record of rare beauty, ambition and eloquence. Months later, the record still stands out as one of 2012's most remarkable releases.
B.o.B - So Good
Miguel has said that he didn't have any idea the world would respond to Adorn the way it has, but one listen and it's not hard to hear why. From the perfectly minimal production to Miguel's searching lyrics and dynamic delivery, this is the kind of song that was assuredly the soundtrack to many proclamations (and we assume consummations) of love in 2012. It turns out that true love, like R&B, is timeless.
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.