Best R&B/Pop Record (Mainstream) of 2012
Speaking of unconventional choices that paid-off big-time, it's not every day an R&B singer signed to a major label releases a single that's ten minutes long, lacks a prominent hook, and foregoes traditional romantic themes in favor of an allegorical, historical-revisionist examination of black femininity. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's only happened once, ever. When Frank Ocean stepped into the Booth with Pyramids back in June, readers instantly recognized the Channel Orange inclusion as a record of rare beauty, ambition and eloquence. Months later, the record still stands out as one of 2012's most remarkable releases.
B.o.B - So Good
Miguel has said that he didn't have any idea the world would respond to Adorn the way it has, but one listen and it's not hard to hear why. From the perfectly minimal production to Miguel's searching lyrics and dynamic delivery, this is the kind of song that was assuredly the soundtrack to many proclamations (and we assume consummations) of love in 2012. It turns out that true love, like R&B, is timeless.
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.