Best R&B/Pop Record of 2013 (Mainstream)
Between an X-rated video, a sample lawsuit, a bunch of parodies and, of course, about a gagillion copies sold, it would take a special effort to upset the favorite for the Best R&B/Pop Record award in Blurred Lines. Really, the only man for the job was Justin Timberlake and with Mirrors, the pop icon showed why he is still the king. On the second single off the first part of his comeback album, The 20/20 Experience, JT keeps to his winning formula. Over a signature bubbly, snapping beat from good friend Timbaland, JT belts out a powerful performance that satisfied the appetite of his very hungry fans (who had been waiting since 2006) and kept him on top of the charts for the entire calender year. Only a very special talent like Timberlake, with a very special song like Mirrors, could take a seven year break and return like they had never left.
You guys take Mirrors and we will take Blurred Lines. That way we have all our bases covered. While you, the readers, might not have voted it the best, there was no question that Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines was the most popular R&B/Pop Record of 2013. Sure all the sheep, spoofs, and sample lawsuits add to the lore of the song - and let's not forget Miley's twerking explosion (see the MTV Awards) - but that isn't the only reason we picked it; on music standards alone the hit single deserved the acclaim. Even if you don't consider yourself a dancer, when Pharrell Williams' funky, vibrant beat was a-bangin' how could you not break out a few moves? Of course Thicke's soulful, yet vibrant crooning and T.I.'s charismatic southern charn only added to the retro-boogie vibe. Quirky, fresh, fun, and a little raunchy, this tune had everything you need from a party pop-tune, and is our staff pick for Best Mainstream R&B/Pop Record of 2013.
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.