Best R&B/Pop Album of 2012
For many, the term “R&B” brings to mind three-minute, verse-chorus-verse pop songs about love, sex, relationships and little else. And don't get it twisted; Frank Ocean's Def Jam debut, Channel Orange, features a few stellar jams that fit that definition. But it also sees the artist exploring a multitude of fresh possibilities, shaking off formal and thematic fetters to create expansive, aurally-challenging records dealing with history, organized religion, homophobia, race, class, the War on Drugs and more—all without losing the intimate vibe that drew listeners to 2011's Nostalgia, Ultra.
Trey Songz - Chapter VI
After the success of Miguel's debut album, All I Want Is You, we all thought Miguel's sophomore effort would be pretty damn good, but I don't know if many thought it'd be this good. Kaleidoscope Dream succeeded on every level, earning some serious commercial success, especially with hit single Adorn, while also pushing R&B into some brand new territory. Where he goes from here no one knows, maybe not even him, and with Miguel you get the feeling that’s exactly the point.
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.