Best R&B/Pop Album of 2012
For many, the term “R&B” brings to mind three-minute, verse-chorus-verse pop songs about love, sex, relationships and little else. And don't get it twisted; Frank Ocean's Def Jam debut, Channel Orange, features a few stellar jams that fit that definition. But it also sees the artist exploring a multitude of fresh possibilities, shaking off formal and thematic fetters to create expansive, aurally-challenging records dealing with history, organized religion, homophobia, race, class, the War on Drugs and more—all without losing the intimate vibe that drew listeners to 2011's Nostalgia, Ultra.
Trey Songz - Chapter VI
After the success of Miguel's debut album, All I Want Is You, we all thought Miguel's sophomore effort would be pretty damn good, but I don't know if many thought it'd be this good. Kaleidoscope Dream succeeded on every level, earning some serious commercial success, especially with hit single Adorn, while also pushing R&B into some brand new territory. Where he goes from here no one knows, maybe not even him, and with Miguel you get the feeling that’s exactly the point.
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)