Best R&B/Pop Album of 2012
For many, the term “R&B” brings to mind three-minute, verse-chorus-verse pop songs about love, sex, relationships and little else. And don't get it twisted; Frank Ocean's Def Jam debut, Channel Orange, features a few stellar jams that fit that definition. But it also sees the artist exploring a multitude of fresh possibilities, shaking off formal and thematic fetters to create expansive, aurally-challenging records dealing with history, organized religion, homophobia, race, class, the War on Drugs and more—all without losing the intimate vibe that drew listeners to 2011's Nostalgia, Ultra.
Trey Songz - Chapter VI
After the success of Miguel's debut album, All I Want Is You, we all thought Miguel's sophomore effort would be pretty damn good, but I don't know if many thought it'd be this good. Kaleidoscope Dream succeeded on every level, earning some serious commercial success, especially with hit single Adorn, while also pushing R&B into some brand new territory. Where he goes from here no one knows, maybe not even him, and with Miguel you get the feeling that’s exactly the point.
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.