Best R&B/Pop Album of 2010
No artist had more pressure riding on their young Canadian shoulders this year than Drake, but the man somehow managed to live up to the hype with his debut album Thank Me Later, a project that continued to blur the lines between hip-hop, pop and R&B. From the banging Miss Me to the crooning Fireworks to whatever you'd call Fancy, Thank Me Later signaled not only the arrival of a new star, but a new age in mainstream music.
B.o.B. "The Adventures of "Bobby Ray"
I get paid to describe music for a living, but I simply can't find the words to describe Janelle Monae's breathlessly original album The Archandroid, a project the music lovers in the DJBooth offices can't seem to stop playing. It's hard to believe that such a big voice can come out of such a small body, or that anyone would dare mix science fiction opera and 50s doo-wop, but The Archandroid did them both, and did them well. There is, and will always be, only one Janelle Monae.
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.