Best New Artist (Unsigned/Independent) of 2013
2013 was a great year for New York hip-hop. With an influx of young, talented emcees The Big Apple is once again an epicenter for hip-hop. While the likes of A$AP Rocky, Action Bronson, and Joey Bada$$ are the acts making headlines, they better make room for Bishop Nehru. Making his debut in February, Nehru went on to become a DJBooth favorite with three more features and two hosted projects. Obviously the quantity is there, but so is the quality. Those who have been enjoying the vintage '90s throwbacks should have no complaints around these parts as Bishop's flawless, smooth flow and dense bars (often dished out of jazzy beats) will have you rocking neon parachute pants and a Starter jacket. Though his sound is straight outta 1996, you all voted Bishop Nehru the Best New Artist (Unsigned/Independent) of 2013; great call!
Being a number one draft pick is amazing, but being selected by the worst team in the league probably isn't desired by any athlete. Really, what you want is to be both insanely talented and have a reliable team that can display your talents. Although he isn't an athlete, that is basically what happened with Isaiah Rashad. Not only did the Tennessee up-and-comer get signed, but he got signed by perhaps the hottest indie label around in TDE. Though he didn't release a full-length album or mixtape, Rashad made great strides in 2013 and now, with support from the likes of Kendrick, SchoolBoy Q and Jay Rock, it looks like he is ready for liftoff.
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.