Best New Artist (Signed) of 2013
Though the peak of his year came way back in May (with the release of his mixtape, Young Sinatra: Welcome To Forever), y'all didn't forget that Logic had a break-out campaign, voting him the Best New Artist (Signed) of 2013; pat yourselves on the back. The DMV product and Def Jam emcee went from local, underground favorite to major label up-and-comer faster than you can say "Welcome To Forever." Though he has yet to release a major label album, with a crisp flow and some super clever, heavy-hitting bars Logic is already making waves. Logic made some serious strides in 2013 and is set to drop his debut album in '14. Although he can't win this award again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the running for Best Artist of 2014.
If you can hop on songs with the likes of Drake, J.Cole, Big Sean, and the aforementioned Logic, before you've even released your proper debut, you must be truly something special. That is exactly why we chose Jhené Aiko as Best New Artist (Signed) of 2013. No matter how big or how small her role on a song is, she always seems to wrestle the spotlight away from whoever else is on the song (listen to Drake's From Time if you don't believe us) thanks to he unique, angelic vocals. There is an undeniable twinkle in the eye of the young Ms. Aiko, and some of the biggest names in the industry took notice this year. Though most of her work in 2013 was guest spots (aside from her quietly-released Sail Out EP) Aiko still got her name out there and set herself up perfectly for a colossal 2014.
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.