Best New Artist (Signed) of 2011
With all due respect to ASAP Rocky, the overnight success story that had our readers' rapt attention in 2011 was Maryland-born emcee and fast-riser Wax. Snapped up by Def Jam just nanoseconds after unleashing his Scrublife tape upon the Booth, the current L.A. resident closed the year out with yet another outrageously dope street album, November's Eviction Notice. Remember, you heard him here first.
Those looking for the next generation of R&B females have had trouble seeing any new stars on the horizon, until Elle Varner showed up. From her first feature, the J. Cole assisted Only Wanna Give It To You, Varner has shown that she has both her roots in classic R&B while pushing her sound firmly into the future. At this rate Varner's upcoming album, Perfectly Imperfect, may end up feeling like more of an inauguration that a major label debut.
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)