Best New Artist (Signed) of 2011
With all due respect to ASAP Rocky, the overnight success story that had our readers' rapt attention in 2011 was Maryland-born emcee and fast-riser Wax. Snapped up by Def Jam just nanoseconds after unleashing his Scrublife tape upon the Booth, the current L.A. resident closed the year out with yet another outrageously dope street album, November's Eviction Notice. Remember, you heard him here first.
Those looking for the next generation of R&B females have had trouble seeing any new stars on the horizon, until Elle Varner showed up. From her first feature, the J. Cole assisted Only Wanna Give It To You, Varner has shown that she has both her roots in classic R&B while pushing her sound firmly into the future. At this rate Varner's upcoming album, Perfectly Imperfect, may end up feeling like more of an inauguration that a major label debut.
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.