Best New Artist (Signed) of 2009
In our first annual Best of the Booth awards, you selected Toronto phenom Drake as “Breaking Through in '09.” Well, give yourselves a pat on the back – 12 short months later, the rapper born Aubrey Graham has ascended to near-household name status with the help of one revolutionary mixtape (So Far Gone, of course) and a few megahit records (“Best I Ever Had,” “Forever...”). Next step for Young Money's MVP? Debut album Thank Me Later, due out in March.
Drake, Drake, Drake, Drake, Drake. Whether you were a hyperventilating teenage girl or a hardcore hip-hop head there was no avoiding the young man's name this year, and those that opened their ears to his flow discovered an emcee absolutely laden with talent. From his blazing mixtape So Far Gone to his solo breakthrough "Best I Ever Had" to a long list of guest and collaboration successes, Drake absolutely owned 2009.
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.