Best New Artist (Signed) of 2009
In our first annual Best of the Booth awards, you selected Toronto phenom Drake as “Breaking Through in '09.” Well, give yourselves a pat on the back – 12 short months later, the rapper born Aubrey Graham has ascended to near-household name status with the help of one revolutionary mixtape (So Far Gone, of course) and a few megahit records (“Best I Ever Had,” “Forever...”). Next step for Young Money's MVP? Debut album Thank Me Later, due out in March.
Drake, Drake, Drake, Drake, Drake. Whether you were a hyperventilating teenage girl or a hardcore hip-hop head there was no avoiding the young man's name this year, and those that opened their ears to his flow discovered an emcee absolutely laden with talent. From his blazing mixtape So Far Gone to his solo breakthrough "Best I Ever Had" to a long list of guest and collaboration successes, Drake absolutely owned 2009.
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.