Best New Artist (Signed) of 2009
In our first annual Best of the Booth awards, you selected Toronto phenom Drake as “Breaking Through in '09.” Well, give yourselves a pat on the back – 12 short months later, the rapper born Aubrey Graham has ascended to near-household name status with the help of one revolutionary mixtape (So Far Gone, of course) and a few megahit records (“Best I Ever Had,” “Forever...”). Next step for Young Money's MVP? Debut album Thank Me Later, due out in March.
Drake, Drake, Drake, Drake, Drake. Whether you were a hyperventilating teenage girl or a hardcore hip-hop head there was no avoiding the young man's name this year, and those that opened their ears to his flow discovered an emcee absolutely laden with talent. From his blazing mixtape So Far Gone to his solo breakthrough "Best I Ever Had" to a long list of guest and collaboration successes, Drake absolutely owned 2009.
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.