Best Mixtape/Street Album of 2013
In hip-hop it can be almost impossible to get people to agree, but this year's selection of Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap as the best mixtape of 2013 was as close to unanimous as our awards got. People turned out in record droves to vote for the Chicago phenom's mind-melting mixtape, and it's easy to understand why. In an age of copy and paste music where even the people "outside of the box" sound like everyone else outside of the box, Chance's blend of humor, politics, emotion, singing, rapping, ad-libbing, relationships, lost youth, Chicago violence, cigarettes, drugs and, of course, Juice, was truly unique. Only time will tell where the Rapper goes from here, but 2013 will forever go down in hip-hop history as the year of Acid Rap.
Big K.R.I.T. - King Remembered in Time
What, like we were going to disagree with the people just for the sake of disagreeing? Like seemingly everyone else, we spent the year with Acid Rap on nearly continuous repeat, even after months passed and albums from nearly every heavyweight hip-hop artist came and went. We truly believe that hip-hop is better for having Chance and Acid Rap in it, and can't wait to hear what he does next. But...even amongst all the well-earned Chancemania, we want to make sure we extend a shout out to long-time DJBooth favorite and Runner-Up selection Big K.R.I.T. and his King Remembered in Time project, which if there's any justice in hip-hop will indeed be remembered for years to come.
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.