Best Mixtape/Street Album of 2010
In a year filled with huge mixtapes, it was Yelawolf's Trunk Muzik that won over DJBooth Nation. On its surface a project from a white, heavily tattooed Alabama rapper would be an unlikely candidate for Mixtape of the Year, but luckily it's the music that matters, and one listen to Trunk Muzik reveals an undeniably talented and fearlessly original emcee. Expect to hear Yela's music rattling out of trunks everywhere for a long time to come.
Big K.R.I.T. "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here"
Could this signal the dawn of a new day in Southern hip-hop? Shortly after Yelawolf locked up the reader pick for mixtape of the year, Mississippi native Big K.R.I.T. and his breakthrough album, K.R.I.T. Wuz Here, emerged as the DJBooth staff's top pick. By combining a real Southern swagger and universal soul both on the mic and behind the boards, K.R.I.T. has crafted a mixtape that will stand the test of time.
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.