Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2010
Hip-hop is rarely more exciting than when it is speaking truth to power – and when the “power” in question is within rap, that's when things get really interesting. On his first Booth feature, Jay 50 & Weezy, N.O. upstart Dee-1 grabbed his sling and a few stones to launch some bruising (but constructive) criticism at the genre's reigning Goliaths. A risky move, to be sure, but the combo of formidable mic skills and a much-needed message made it pay off big-time.
K. Sparks - Blue Swing
Don't let the title fool you; Boom Bap is much more than a retro throwback. Exhibiting a reverence for hip-hop's roots along with a decidedly forward-looking style, Las Vegas buzzmaker Nique effortlessly won over the DJBooth.net staff with this Superslikuzi-presented mixtape standout. With talent this fresh and creative repping Sin City, could we be witnessing the birth of a new movement? I'd put money on it.
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.