Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2010
Hip-hop is rarely more exciting than when it is speaking truth to power – and when the “power” in question is within rap, that's when things get really interesting. On his first Booth feature, Jay 50 & Weezy, N.O. upstart Dee-1 grabbed his sling and a few stones to launch some bruising (but constructive) criticism at the genre's reigning Goliaths. A risky move, to be sure, but the combo of formidable mic skills and a much-needed message made it pay off big-time.
K. Sparks - Blue Swing
Don't let the title fool you; Boom Bap is much more than a retro throwback. Exhibiting a reverence for hip-hop's roots along with a decidedly forward-looking style, Las Vegas buzzmaker Nique effortlessly won over the DJBooth.net staff with this Superslikuzi-presented mixtape standout. With talent this fresh and creative repping Sin City, could we be witnessing the birth of a new movement? I'd put money on it.
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.