Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2010
Hip-hop is rarely more exciting than when it is speaking truth to power – and when the “power” in question is within rap, that's when things get really interesting. On his first Booth feature, Jay 50 & Weezy, N.O. upstart Dee-1 grabbed his sling and a few stones to launch some bruising (but constructive) criticism at the genre's reigning Goliaths. A risky move, to be sure, but the combo of formidable mic skills and a much-needed message made it pay off big-time.
K. Sparks - Blue Swing
Don't let the title fool you; Boom Bap is much more than a retro throwback. Exhibiting a reverence for hip-hop's roots along with a decidedly forward-looking style, Las Vegas buzzmaker Nique effortlessly won over the DJBooth.net staff with this Superslikuzi-presented mixtape standout. With talent this fresh and creative repping Sin City, could we be witnessing the birth of a new movement? I'd put money on it.
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.