Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2010
Hip-hop is rarely more exciting than when it is speaking truth to power – and when the “power” in question is within rap, that's when things get really interesting. On his first Booth feature, Jay 50 & Weezy, N.O. upstart Dee-1 grabbed his sling and a few stones to launch some bruising (but constructive) criticism at the genre's reigning Goliaths. A risky move, to be sure, but the combo of formidable mic skills and a much-needed message made it pay off big-time.
K. Sparks - Blue Swing
Don't let the title fool you; Boom Bap is much more than a retro throwback. Exhibiting a reverence for hip-hop's roots along with a decidedly forward-looking style, Las Vegas buzzmaker Nique effortlessly won over the DJBooth.net staff with this Superslikuzi-presented mixtape standout. With talent this fresh and creative repping Sin City, could we be witnessing the birth of a new movement? I'd put money on it.
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.