Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2009
Wiz Khalifa was just one of many artists to leave their major-label home and go indie in '09, but he certainly did it with more panache than most. E Dan-produced single “This Plane” left the Booth fully convinced that, Deal or No Deal, the Steel City representative was headed straight to the top – First Class, no layovers.
K. Sparks ft. Julius Francis – Sunshine
In these tough times we all need a little "Sunshine" in our lives, and so we couldn't have been happier when DJBooth favorite K. Sparks, along with Julius Francis, delivered a slice of hip-hop joy to our doorstep in April. Always lyrically complex, on "Sunshine" Sparks took a particularly personal turn, letting us all into his head, and leaving us feeling a little better for having listened. And just in case this is sounding overly saccharine, the track's also pretty goddamn dope.
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.