Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2009
Wiz Khalifa was just one of many artists to leave their major-label home and go indie in '09, but he certainly did it with more panache than most. E Dan-produced single “This Plane” left the Booth fully convinced that, Deal or No Deal, the Steel City representative was headed straight to the top – First Class, no layovers.
K. Sparks ft. Julius Francis – Sunshine
In these tough times we all need a little "Sunshine" in our lives, and so we couldn't have been happier when DJBooth favorite K. Sparks, along with Julius Francis, delivered a slice of hip-hop joy to our doorstep in April. Always lyrically complex, on "Sunshine" Sparks took a particularly personal turn, letting us all into his head, and leaving us feeling a little better for having listened. And just in case this is sounding overly saccharine, the track's also pretty goddamn dope.
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.