Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2009
Wiz Khalifa was just one of many artists to leave their major-label home and go indie in '09, but he certainly did it with more panache than most. E Dan-produced single “This Plane” left the Booth fully convinced that, Deal or No Deal, the Steel City representative was headed straight to the top – First Class, no layovers.
K. Sparks ft. Julius Francis – Sunshine
In these tough times we all need a little "Sunshine" in our lives, and so we couldn't have been happier when DJBooth favorite K. Sparks, along with Julius Francis, delivered a slice of hip-hop joy to our doorstep in April. Always lyrically complex, on "Sunshine" Sparks took a particularly personal turn, letting us all into his head, and leaving us feeling a little better for having listened. And just in case this is sounding overly saccharine, the track's also pretty goddamn dope.
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.