Best Hip Hop Album (Unsigned/Independent) of 2009
This year, Jersey emcee Joe Budden broke free of Def Jam, the label that had repeatedly foiled his attempts to release a sophomore album, and settled with indie Amalgam Digital to finally get a new project into listeners' hands. Padded Room was dark, lyrically-focused and more than a little crazy – in other words, exactly what Budden fans had been waiting for!
KRS-One & Buckshot "Survival Skills"
In addition to Best Hip-Hop Album from an independent artist I'd like to award Blitz the completely unofficial and completely uncoveted Most Slept on Album of the Year award. An album that combined dope, meaningful and memorable flows with some of the best live instrument production we've heard since The Roots glory days, Stereotype was the kind of album we'll still be playing in a year, in five years, in a decade. Stop sleeping.
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.