Best Hip Hop Record (Unsigned/Independent) of 2012
Rittz has built his name on an unstinting commitment to realness, which has occasionally meant filling verses with triple-time descriptions of how hard his life was sucking at a given moment. Supporting the artist through his most intimate struggles has only made it more rewarding for fans to share in his many successes in 2012, and no record was more emblematic of that shift in the weather than Walking on Air. Featured in February as the second song release off White Jesus: Revival, the exuberant, Shane Eli-produced banger set the tone for a year packed with large and small triumphs, culminating in the artist's recent signing to Strange Music. The hook says it all: “I feel like this is gonna be my year.”
Mac Miller x Pharrell Williams - Onaroll
The Heist succeeded by daring to musically travel where no one had traveled before, and no song exemplified Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' commitment to musical bravery than their musical support for same-sex marriage, Same Love. Topped by a deeply moving chorus from Mary Lambert, Same Love proves that music truly does have the power to change minds, hearts and, yes, even our country's laws.
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)