Best Emcee of 2009
There's no doubt about it: 2009 was Jay-Z's year. In addition to dropping the final installment of his decade-spanning Blueprint series, thereby breaking the existing record for most number-one albums (sorry, Elvis), and scoring his first number-one single with “Empire State of Mind,” the rap megastar laid the groundwork for the next chapter of his dynasty with the formation of new label imprint Roc Nation. ¡Viva la Hovito!
The biggest album of the year (Blueprint 3), the biggest song of the year ("Empire State of Mind"), his own major label/company Roc Nation and married to one of the most beautiful women in the world, what more could Jay-Z have possibly done? Even for the almighty Hova 2009 was an enormously large year, and along with the honorary title of president of hip-hop nation, we're proud to award him our Best Emcee of the Year award.
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.