Best DJ of 2012
Despite being one of their chief architects of the contemporary rap mixtape, DJ Drama has yet to take home a Best of the Booth trophy. This time around, readers have voted to finally give Mr. Gangsta Grillz his much-deserved props, in recognition of one of his dopest years in recent memory. In addition to aptly-titled studio album Quality Street Music, featuring hit singles We in This B*tch and My Moment, 2012 saw Drama release a truckload of new tapes, from high-profile collabs with Lil Wayne (Dedication 4), 50 Cent (The Lost Tape), Slaughterhouse (On the House) and Jeezy (It's Tha World) to buzzworthy projects with rising stars Meek Mill (Dreamchasers 2) and Freddie Gibbs (Baby Face Kila). I could go on, but I'd be here all week...
From hip-hop's earliest days the art of DJing was about putting on a show, and there aren't many DJs more fascinating to watch than the lightning-handed AraabMUZIK. But in addition to his virtuoso skill behind an MPC, this year AraabMUZIK also proved his production mettle, crafting beats for the likes of Slaughterhouse, 50 Cent and more. Turns out the only thing faster than his hands is the speed his career is growing.
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)