Best DJ of 2012
Despite being one of their chief architects of the contemporary rap mixtape, DJ Drama has yet to take home a Best of the Booth trophy. This time around, readers have voted to finally give Mr. Gangsta Grillz his much-deserved props, in recognition of one of his dopest years in recent memory. In addition to aptly-titled studio album Quality Street Music, featuring hit singles We in This B*tch and My Moment, 2012 saw Drama release a truckload of new tapes, from high-profile collabs with Lil Wayne (Dedication 4), 50 Cent (The Lost Tape), Slaughterhouse (On the House) and Jeezy (It's Tha World) to buzzworthy projects with rising stars Meek Mill (Dreamchasers 2) and Freddie Gibbs (Baby Face Kila). I could go on, but I'd be here all week...
From hip-hop's earliest days the art of DJing was about putting on a show, and there aren't many DJs more fascinating to watch than the lightning-handed AraabMUZIK. But in addition to his virtuoso skill behind an MPC, this year AraabMUZIK also proved his production mettle, crafting beats for the likes of Slaughterhouse, 50 Cent and more. Turns out the only thing faster than his hands is the speed his career is growing.
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.