Best Crossover Record of 2009
Was there anyone in America who wasn't vibing out to Jay-Z's “Empire State of Mind” in '09? Doubtful – with a souring chorus by R&B songstress Alicia Keys and an appropriately epic instrumental by Shux (along with co-producers Janet Sewell-Ulepic and Angela Hunte), the Blueprint 3 single had something to offer just about every listener, and the track's wide-ranging appeal ultimately earned it a #1 spot on Billboard's Hot 100.
Drake - Best I Ever Had
This one was never really even a question. Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 was a big album, but "Empire State of Mind" was an absolutely huge song, the type of track that transcends hip-hop and gets played everywhere from project block parties to suburban aerobics classes. With Alicia Keys bringing the track to the next level with an instantly classic chorus, "Empire State of Mind" is the definition of a crossover smash. Let's hear it for New York.
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.