Best Club Anthem of 2013
When it was revealed that A$AP Rocky's debut set would feature a collaboration with Skrillex, some heads scoffed, figuring that the Harlem emcee's screwed-up flows would blend with the EDM heavyweight's scorching dubstep soundscapes about as well as oil mixes with water. Turns out, they were a lot more like peanut butter and chocolate. Wild for the Night, liberated in March as single number three off Long.Live.ASAP, is a master class in tension and release, building from a reggae-informed verse groove to a grinding, Birdy Nam Nam-sampled hook, and culminating in a drop so explosive it's liable to cause whiplash. For sheer power to move a crowd, there was simply no competition.
As far as we in the DJBooth are concerned, there's only one objective standard by which to judge the quality of a club record: the amount of vibration it causes in the adipose tissue of the human posterior. And where rump-shakeability is concerned, no 2013 release quite measured up to Major Lazer's Bubble Butt. Fueled by the Diplo alter ego's thundering bass and mesmerizing vocal samples, the fourth single off Free the Universe is exquisitely crafted to cause a booty-quake. Even if you're not an ass man (or woman), you can't deny the energy and collaborative chemistry displayed by guest vocalists Bruno Mars, Mystic and Tyga.
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.