What do you get when you cross one of the West Coast's foremost underground rhymesayers with the finest live-band hip-hop crew Miami has to offer? The answer, of course, is ¡MursDay!, the new collaborative set from Cali spitter MURS and Panhandle State ensemble ¡MAYDAY! The former act's first release since inking his recent deal with Strange Music, the project comes on the heels of ¡MAYDAY!'s acclaimed sophomore set, Believers.
Lead single "Tabletops," a 4.4-star smash-hit in the Booth, offers a taste of what fans can expect from the joint release, made up of 13 original jams and two bonus tracks including "Serge's Song" and "Here."
Wrekonize, Bernbiz and MURS handle vocal duties on the set, which is free of guest features. ¡MAYDAY!'s four-man crew man the mixing boards.
Fans can also check out ¡MAYDAY! &MURS's previous albums: Miami Beat Wave, ¡MAYDAY! & ArtOfficial - Neighbors | ¡MAYDAY! - Believers | ¡MAYDAY! - Smash & Grab
DJBooth Album Review
When I walked in, passing the stretchers and ambulances and cautiously watching for severed limbs and blood (yes, I'm aware it's irrational). I was actually a little nervous. I wasn't at the hospital for a real reason, but it's like my body knows what this place is and instinctively makes me uncomfortable; at least if I fainted I'd be in the right place. Despite my distracted state, I managed to catch something Murs said in the into, "Brace yourself for some of the best music you've heard in the past uhhhhhh 40 years". A bold claim, and while I haven't had the time to trace back all the albums in the last 40 years, I can certainly say this is one of the best of the year, and one of my favorites in a long, long time; even if my first listen was at a hospital.
DJBooth Rating - 5 Spins
Written by Lucas G. on 06/10/14
Submit your Rating
Related Songs & Features
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.