After pushing back the release of his album numerous times, Lupe Fiasco can finally take a deep...
Fans can also check out Lupe Fiasco's previous albums: Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth | Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album, Pt. 1 | Lupe Fiasco - Lasers
DJBooth Album Review
The production is stellar from the likes of Pro, Soundtrakk, Needlz, Mike Shinoda and Pharrell Williams. Most impressive from this group is the quality of work from Gurnee, Illinois, native Soundtrakk. Lupe’s hometown friend put his own special touch on the album’s lead single, Kick Push, which uniquely works both in elevators and clubs.
Much of the pre-release hoopla made over the album was thanks to Def Jam head honcho (but maybe not for much longer) Jay-Z . Although he personally co-signs the work of Fiasco on Food & Liquor, Jay’s presence is minimally felt (Pressure). I am sure Fiasco won’t mind all the hype attached to the project though, as it should lead to above average first week sales.
Fans of Lupe Fiasco will love this album. Fans of hip-hop, unfamiliar with Lupe Fiasco, will also love this album. Fellow supporters and anyone who has ever come into physical or mental contact with him will too appreciate the album. The reasoning for the latter statement comes from track number 16. The Outro is a total of twelve minutes and thirteen seconds and rivals We Are The World for the longest album track over ten minutes intriguing enough to continue listening past the two minute marker. In it, Fiasco thanks everyone and their mother including his label, publicist, and owner of a local Chicago meat shop he patronizes.
If you drive around the west side of Chicago, you’ll see a Food & Liquor store on almost every corner. Pretty soon his name will be just as widespread.
DJBooth Rating - 4.5 Spins
Written by DJ Z on Sep 20, 2006
Submit your Rating
Related Songs & Features
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.