In 2011, The DJBooth introduced readers to Coolroy's Charlie, a introductory project from the once buzzing West Coast native.
Unfortunately, in the 30 months following the free release, Coolroy only appeared on our pages a total of two times. Part of the story is that the emcee became a father for the first time. The other, less glamorous part includes an addiction to molly, getting evicted from his home, becoming homeless, committing a series of crimes and contemplating suicide.
With the help of family, friends and peers in the music game, Coolroy changed the ending to his story. Hellbent on "finishing something for the first time in my life," the Los Angeles bred artist born Dominik C. Franklin has released nine. The project, which took two full years to create, features previously-released selection "I'm Fine." Guest appearances include Krayzie Bone and Jhené Aiko, while the album is produced in-full by David Manzoor.
Fans can also check out Coolroy's previous albums: Coolroy - Charlie
Submit your Rating
Related Songs & Features
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.