In 2011, The DJBooth introduced readers to Coolroy's Charlie, a introductory project from the once buzzing West Coast native.
Unfortunately, in the 30 months following the free release, Coolroy only appeared on our pages a total of two times. Part of the story is that the emcee became a father for the first time. The other, less glamorous part includes an addiction to molly, getting evicted from his home, becoming homeless, committing a series of crimes and contemplating suicide.
With the help of family, friends and peers in the music game, Coolroy changed the ending to his story. Hellbent on "finishing something for the first time in my life," the Los Angeles bred artist born Dominik C. Franklin has released nine. The project, which took two full years to create, features previously-released selection "I'm Fine." Guest appearances include Krayzie Bone and Jhené Aiko, while the album is produced in-full by David Manzoor.
Fans can also check out Coolroy's previous albums: Coolroy - Charlie
Written by DJ Z on Aug 23, 2013
Submit your Rating
Related Songs & Features
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.